Certification: Applied M&V: Planning in practice
WHAT IS M&V PLANNING IN PRACTICE?
Applied M&V: Planning in Practice builds on the theory and skills learned in the popular, three-day Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) known as EVO's L3 M&V Fundamentals & the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol for Energy Managers course followed by the CMVP exam with certification provided by AEE, but referred to here as CMVP).
The L3 M&V training and CMVP exam delivered by the EEC are a significant step towards becoming an experienced M&V professional, focused largely on the theoretical underpinnings of measurement and verification.
But the journey doesn’t end there.
Applied M&V: Planning in Practice builds on this foundation by going in depth on the practical preparation of the core activity of measurement and verification: preparing an M&V plan.
Course introduction webinar
On Thursday 24 September 2020, EEC CEO Luke Menzel held a special professional development webinar with the trainer behind the new course, Bruce Rowse. You can view the conversation below.
All registrants for this course must meet one of the following three criteria:
- Currently a certified CMVP or CMVP-IT;
- Have completed the CMVP course in the last three years (not necessarily the exam); or
- Hold a lapsed CMVP certification (this course is a pathway to CMVP re-certification).
Please note that all registrants must complete 3-5 hours of mandatory pre-course work.
How to register:
- Click REGISTER NOW pay your booking deposit by credit card at the time of registration ($935 + 2.4% CC fee):
- An invoice for the full course cost, less the deposit paid, will be issued upon successful registration. Payment in full must be received before course materials will be issued.
APPLIED M&V: PLANNING IN PRACTICE
ONLINE CLASSROOM 19 - 21 July 2022
Registrations close: strictly 28 June 2022 (to allow for processing of enrolment and completion of pre-course work)
Trainer: Bruce Rowse
Videoconference: Zoom classroom
Class size: 17 maximum
Prerequisites: Refer eligibility criteria
Pre-course work: 3-5 hours of a statistics refresh
Schedule: 15 contact hours + 4 hour exam (individually scheduled and proctored)
CPD: should AEE accept this course as qualifying CPD, it would be worth approx 3.2 credits towards CEM or CMVP renewal
Course materials: The exam is open book and the use of electronic references is prohibited. Printed course materials will be couriered to fully-paid registrants after the closing date.
All dates and times are AEST (Melbourne/Sydney).
Days 1 – 3 (Tuesday - Thursday, 19-21 July 2022)
Session 1: 9.30AM-12.00PM (please be online by 9.15AM to ensure a prompt start)
Session 2: 12.30-3.00PM
Exam: 4 hour exam individually scheduled and proctored in a two week window after course completion.
- Includes access to pre-course online program, printed course materials, trainer support and the remotely proctored exam.
- A limited number of discounted places are available in each program to full time tertiary students. Pricing and further information on student places is available by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- All prices are stated in Australian dollars and include GST. Payments by credit card attract a credit card surcharge of 2.4% plus GST; and
- Current EEC or EVO members receive significant discounts on the fee schedule, but the membership must be up to date to receive the discounted rate. For more information on becoming an EEC member, review the membership overview.
ABOUT MEASUREMENT AND VERIFICATION ON ENERGY SAVINGS
The basics of measurement and verification (M&V) are learned in the EVO's L3 course that preceeds the CMVP exam that is the prerequisite for undertaking this course.
Many factors influence how much energy a facility uses, such as technology, weather and the number of staff using a site. As a result, working out how much energy an energy efficiency upgrade is saving requires more than just metering energy use before and after and assuming that the difference is the savings. The International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP®) is used around the world as a trusted guide for the determination of savings. M&V undertaken in accordance with the IPMVP adheres to the principles of being accurate, complete, conservative, consistent, relevant and transparent.
Effective M&V can help you:
- Increase energy savings;
- Reduce the cost of financing projects;
- Encourage better project engineering;
- Help demonstrate and capture the value of reduced emissions from energy efficiency and renewable investments;
- Increase public understanding of energy management as a public policy tool; and
- Help national and industry organisations promote and achieve resource efficiency and environmental objectives.
Applied M&V: Planning in Practice is focused on the core M&V activity of preparing an M&V plan as outlined in IPMVP Core Concepts 2016. The course has the following sections:
- Practical M&V challenges;
- IPMVP adherent M&V plan in detail;
- M&V calculations in practice;
- M&V plan in practice; and
- M&V plan verification in practice.
- Understand the challenges associated with the practical application of M&V;
- Prepare an IPMVP compliant M&V plan along with the associated M&V calculations;
- Learn how to manage common M&V challenges;
- Learn how to effectively build regression models and how to manage unsatisfactory models;
- Review an M&V plan for compliance with the IPMVP; and
- Produce an M&V report compliant with the IPMVP.
In addition to the knowledge gained from the training course, attendees will receive the following benefits:
- A printed copy of the training course materials;
- Interaction with other students and the trainer;
- Certificate from EVO stating that you are competent in the preparation of M&V plans;
- Partial completion of the requirements for becoming a Certified Energy Saving Verifier (CESV)*.
* The CESV certification is not yet available, but will be issued to those who have demonstrated skills in two main areas:
- The verification of energy audit estimates (training and assessment not yet available); and
- The preparation of M&V plans (this Applied M&V: Planning in Practice course).
An examination may be sat by those who wish to obtain a certification from EVO in M&V Planning in
Practice. The exam:
- Is of 4 hours duration and is individually and remotely proctored in a two-week window after the course;
- Is practical;
- Requires the preparation of an M&V plan within a period of 4 hours;
- Is assessed by an EVO instructor. The assessment includes written observations which provide feedback to the examinee.
Registrants who undertook the EVO's L3 M&V Fundamentals course more than 12 months before they take Applied M&V: Planning in Practice are required to complete a pre-course module, which takes approximately 3-5 hours and is made available to registrants prior to the commencement of the course.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Bruce Rowse has worked in energy efficiency since 2001 and sits on standards committee EN-001, participating in the major upgrade of AS/NZS 3598 Energy Audits in 2014 and is the Chair of the Efficiency Valuation Organisation’s Extended Training Committee.
Cancellations received 30 days prior to the training will be accepted and fees refunded less a 50% cancellation fee. Cancellations made on/after 30 days prior to the training cannot be accepted. Registrations are non-transferable. Refunds will not be available if you choose not to attend the training course. Cancellation requests must be received in writing and can be sent to email@example.com
The Energy Efficiency Council reserves the right to cancel any program at its discretion. In the event that the Energy Efficiency Council cancels a program, registrants will be given the option of transferring to the next available program dates or being provided with a full refund of the registration fees.